Prerequisite skills are performed on the first day of class before instruction
begins. Candidates who do not complete all 3 phases
of the prerequisite skills to the
instructor's satisfaction will not be eligible to participate in the remainder
of the course, and will not be given a refund. Bathing suits must be worn.
- Swim 300 yards continuously using front crawl, breaststroke, or a combination of the two. May not swim on back or side.
- Goggles may be used.
- Tread water for 2 minuets using only legs.
- Hands should be placed under armpits.
- Swim 20 yards without goggles.
- Surface dive to 12 feet and retrieve a weight.
- Once back on the surface, swim back 20 yards holding the weight.
- Exit pool without the use of a ladder or stairs.
- Must be completed in one minute and forty seconds.