- Officially incorporated in 1968 as the Young Men’s Christian Association of
Greene County, TN.
- The Y is a Not-For-Profit (501-3C) organization led by a volunteer Board of
Directors and an Executive Director to facilitate daily operations.
- Past Executive Directors - Ramsey Falconer, George Fawcett, David McCaslin
and Terry Bellamy. Margaret Wright has served this position in the interim.
- Previous Y locations – Asbury United Methodist Church Annex and the former
Doughty-Stevens Funeral Home.
- The Y has been at its current location since 1980.
- Capital Campaigns – 1980 (facility), 1992 (renovations) and 2007 (expansion
- The Y is open 7 days each week and includes the following amenities:
Racquetball Courts, Indoor Pool, Wellness Center, Group Exercise Room, Youth Activity Center, Functional Training Room, Gymnasiums, Adult Locker Rooms with steam and
sauna, free Childwatch/Youthwatch, Group Cycling, Youth Locker Rooms and Family Changing Areas.
- The Y is a United Way Agency. Funds from the United Way help to provide
financial assistance for membership and program fees for those who qualify.
Funds also allow the Y to provide (free of charge) the Arthritis Foundation Aquatic program for those
who provide proper documentation.
- The Y has approximately 6,000 members and nearly 2,800 membership
- Approximately 16,000 people from Greene County are served by the YMCA each
- Over 200 volunteers assist the Y staff in a given year.
- The annual operating budget is $1.65 million. Most revenue is generated through membership (74%) and program fees
- The Y employs over 90 part-time staff throughout the year.